The Wabasha Street Caves
Originally, the caves were dug out by miners extracting the fine sand during the 1840s. The silica was used for creating glass. After the sandstone was removed, it was used as a storage area for food because of its cool temperatures. In the early 1900s, it was discovered that the damp, dark caves offered ideal conditions for growing mushrooms. The owners began growing mushrooms which were so popular they were shipped all over the country and eventually overseas. This enterprise lasted for a number of years.
However, the 1920s era of Prohibition changed the City of
After Prohibition was repealed, it became a high end night club called The Castle Royal, where people could come, eat good food, dance to big bands and musical acts performing on stage, or play cards in the adjoining room. The Castle Royal had a 1,600 sq foot dance floor and 60 foot bars. There was an elegant dining area near the dance floor, a bar, a and a card playing area, in addition to a kitchen, a food and liquor storage area, and the reception room. The Castle Royal was successful throughout the 1930s, but closed its doors when World War 2 began in 1941.
The Caves fell into disuse. However, they were used at a point in the 1940s as a storage area for debris left by a major
Then during the 1970s, the caves were opened back up as The Castle Royal 2. It was a Disco dance hall and supper club. While Disco is no longer the music of choice, which is basically what the venue is today. Primarily reserved for private parties, Thursday nights are Swing Night at the
Post a Comment